Monday, January 16, 2012

What I've learned from watching Mad Men

Over the past two weeks Matt and I devoured the four seasons of Man Men on Netflix. I am now anxiously awaiting the new season that will come out in March. So many things were great about this series. I know it is really old news at this point, but I am still excited about it! Here are some things I learned from the show.

1. Say less. Be more like Don Draper. I think there is really something to be said about holding in a bit and being mysterious. Don does this almost to a fault, but he is onto the right idea. It is really interesting to watching his character from when he is young to how he acts at the Ad agency.

2. Women did not have to work out back then. Even though all of the women are not gorgeous, and I know it is a tv show, I really think it was not something they did! Only one girl on the show ever does anything-which is running. I have to say I am a bit jealous. There is a lot going on there though-very strict ideas about femininity, which is slightly changing even now, less fatty foods, no take-out yet, etc. I can't decide how I feel about it at this moment.

3. Companies could afford to take care of their people. America in the 60s was full of hope. Even though a lot of tragedies occur during this time, as a capitalist society, America is hitting it hard. People could live relatively comfortably and were a special commodity to the company. I feel we have moved far away from this mentality.

4. It was all about who you knew. At one time in the show, a boy is hired because he was the cousin to the bosses wife. I like to think that doesn't happen any more, but I know better than that.

5. Racists were/are everywhere. It is easy to think that the South was where all the racists were, and part of that is true. Growing up in the South, there are endearing and also disgusting habits. I miss it in some ways. But, people in the North were not much better. Also, I am sick of people being racist. Get over yourself.

6. I love women! Women during this time period knew what they had to do. A lot still live the 50s housewife dream, but others were forging a path. Most of the women on the show are secretaries, playing into stereotypes. But the most important one, Peggy, uses her mind to progress in her career. Everyone in the office thinks she slept with Don, and that bothers her, but she continues to strive for more, not letting it distract her. Go women, we rock!!

7. Handle things quietly. Be more like Joan and less like Betty. Part of me loves Betty, don't get me wrong. She represents everything that we as women are supposed to be and supposed to want. But she is childish. I found myself horrified at times when watching her with her children. Joan is strong and when she is upset, she takes it in stride.

8. Push the boundaries. Be like Peggy.  Peggy asks for what she wants and is not afraid to do hard work. She also recognizes the injustice that surrounds her. People in the north talk about civil rights, but  do not seem to extend it to women. I like her drive and determination. We all could take a lesson from her.

9. It is hard to be a good person. We are selfish. Every character has their faults and it is easy to judge them at times. Most notably, Betty seems like an awful person. But, she isn't happy! So I sympathize with her. Don is impulsive and does and says hurtful things. But he has a good heart. It is hard to be the person we think we should be.

What do you think?

What shows do you think we should watch next?

No comments:

Post a Comment