Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September books

The two books I read this month were Persuasion by Jane Austen and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I really enjoyed both of them! I typically stay away from Jane Austen (I know, I know) but this book has such a great title, I went for it anyway. The first part was a bit slow. It took me awhile to get used to the language, but as I read, I got used to it. I really liked the idea that the protagonist, Anne Elliot, had been persuaded to not follow her heart because of the impressions of her older and wiser sister.

After eight years, her love comes back to town, and an interesting cat and mouse game ensues. Captain Wentworth actually never got over her (her mind, that is :) ) and after much confusion, the two end up together. Anne is forced to somewhat choose between what is good for her family versus what she wants. Since she obviously chose by her heart before, it shows much growth that she is able to choose with her heart at the end of the novel.

On another note, Mr. Elliot, Anne's cousin, brings in another aspect to the mystery of those who are surround us daily. He easily persuades those around him that he has alternate desires and simply wants to further his own means. He is actually a bad person, but lets on that he is very charming and good at heart. Anne discovers this fact through talking with a mutual friend. Of course, the novel was wrapped up nicely in a smart little bow in the last five pages. What seems so interesting to me about novels from the Romantic age are that people really cannot say what they mean. People had to read actions for alternate meanings, nothing was outright. Austen truly captures this aspect of society at the time.

I really enjoyed The Help, as several other people have as well.  There are three narrators: Miss Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny. All three are very different. I loved reading the accents of the African Americans. It made me miss my home a bit. The book clearly shows all of the divisions that did and still do separate the two races in the South. Although it fills me with sadness to see how the color of our skin can still blind us, I hope that with each new generation a little bit more of our prejudices are being erased. (I do recognize sadly that our prejudices have simply turned to another race now, Hispanics.)

Something interesting that I thought the book brought up was about one of my all time favorite novels, Gone with the Wind. There seemed to be a lot of resistance to how Margaret Mitchell displays Mammy and the few slaves who choose to stay with their family. And yet, a few of the maids stories, such as Louvenia's with Miss Lou Ann, seemed to support the idea that there could be a very close relationship that did involve support.

Books for next month: The Book Thief and A Dog's Purpose, any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment