Friday, May 25, 2012

Be Present

I wrote this speech to give to my students. Their last assignment for our English class was to write a speech that talks about a specific experience they had and what life lesson they learned from it. Several students asked me to give a speech, so I did. I think this message is so important to remember, especially for them. My students are so concerned with their future, and I was too at their age. But I want them to enjoy their youth. Of course, I am reminded of that pertinent saying "Youth is wasted on the young."

I am so, so proud of the speeches my students gave. It is hard to explain, really. Many of them shared very personal stories and I was glad to see them take the assignment seriously. They grew up so much this year, and I am already missing them! I am glad I can hopefully be reunited with them at Battle!


Be Present


As humans, we feel the need to always plan for the future and to pine for the past. So often do we just try to get through the week or through activities – to get to the weekend.

This past year, my husband, Matt, and I picked up everything we had and hauled it to Columbia, Missouri. Admittedly, I saw this move as a short-term transition. We were both starting new chapters of our lives, he law school and I teaching in a new district, a new grade, with new students. There was excitement in the air.

Over the year I found myself doing two things: 1) Really missing Knoxville and my life there with my friends and family, and 2) Looking forward to and planning when we would get to move “home”. This focus caused me to fall somewhat into a depression.

I am a master at keeping in touch – the letter and email writer and phone caller. But as much as I tried, the strong friendships were slowly slipping away from me. I started getting angry that my friends weren’t holding up their side of the relationship. I tried to discuss it with family, but I still didn't feel better. No one seemed to understand my pain. I just wanted things to be like before. My friends are such a large part of my life and my identity and always have been.

I got depressed because the people who really mattered, my friends and family, were all in another state and I couldn’t keep us connected. But by focusing so much on my past, other things suffered now. I stopped exercising; I got moody and angry with Matt, and my work suffered. I also couldn’t see the things right in front of me. I was having a hard time because I couldn’t let myself truly be in the moment.

I realized that even if we moved back to Tennessee now, things would not be the same. Everyone had changed, and we weren’t together while it was happening. My “home” had to be a travelling place; it had to be wherever I was. Home is wherever I am with Matt.

Focus on right now. Of course we always need to plan for the future, it would be futile not to. Also, remember where you came from and who got you to this place. But don’t let that consume you. If you do, you will miss all of the fun and terrible experiences that add value to your life right now. Be present.



After every speech, each person got a loud applause, including me. I hope they felt as good and accomplished afterwards as I did. :) Happy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I'm glad we can share that experience together. Life goes on even if we have to hop around every now and then. For me, literally. =p Thank you for being kind and generous. If Baby could speak, I'm sure she'd tell you the same. Keep your head up! Great things are ahead and right in front of you. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know you said something about wanting to feel like you are growing, but this shows you really are. i love you.

    ReplyDelete