Sunday, December 11, 2011

Brunch!

Who does not love brunch? It has to be one of the best meals. Today, Matt and I had our friends Tim and Katie over for waffles and bacon. They graciously brought yummy fruit! We had so much fun. Next time I will be sure to take photos. It was really nice to commune with these new friends of ours who I already find so dear.

I feel like everything in my life is so transient at this time. Not much feels stable.  I know our life here in Columbia will only be for three years, and those days are marching by. I can't tell how I feel about this yet. I am not looking forward to a life of a lot of traveling and chasing homes. I am a home-body and like to nest. There is also instability with my job. The nature of a teacher is to help students for a year and move them on, hopefully with new ideas, insights, and maturity. I do not want to see my students go! I really like them it makes me sad that I won't have the opportunity to see them in the halls for the next few years until they graduate. That is the unfortunate part of working at a Junior High.

There is also the lack of control over the next two years here at CPS. We will have a new principal next year, a large change in the atmosphere of the school. Then I will transition again to a high school-one of the three in the town. I have some say in where I go, but it is what is best for the students and if any of the principals want me. I will more or less be told where to work. Again, by this time, we will only be here for a year-maybe more-and it is hard. I get attached easily, especially to my students. I really want them to do so well. I want them to have chances to succeed.

As much as I try to hold onto the people and life I had in Knoxville, it seems to slip farther away everyday. I find myself upset by this I suppose because I don't feel like I have something new to take its place yet. I keep searching.

I am really looking forward to going home for Christmas. I have two more books to read for the year and I am not sure I will get them done! I am a third of the way through A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This would be fine, except Alexis is coming to visit on Wednesday! We are both really excited to have her here-but I know I won't get any reading done! We plan to do some crafts and make yummy food and watch some movies.

I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas season and finding time to relax. We spend most nights in front of the tree and watching tv under lots of blankets. It has been so cold here! Stay safe and warm, my friends.

2 comments:

  1. :) brunch is in fact a lovely meal. i've not found a good place for that yet. chasing homes is challenging, but it also brings a lot of excitement and growth. i learn more and more each day that even the life you have "left behind" is not lost. it is many times closer than it was when you had it at your fingertips. distance and challenge only enhances appreciation.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just noticed a typo and know you'll notice it too. "enhance"... my mistake ;)

    ReplyDelete