Sunday, October 2, 2011

Project: Necklace Hanger

Hi!

We had a very nice weekend that was full of little projects. On Saturday I decided to change what was on the walls in our bedroom. I felt that the chi was just a bit off. Thanks to our good friends, Niles and Alyssa, who gave us this nice photo collection set for our wedding! We finally were able to put it into use. It looks so great on our bedroom wall. The pictures do not do it justice. The top one in the middle is of Alyssa and me baking cookies last year-miss you!!

Next, we went to the grocery to get bagels. We stopped at Act hardware to pick up needed supplies for the necklace hanger I wanted to make. I am so pleased with how it turned out. Now all my necklaces are hanging and so they will not get tangled and are out of the dust accumulating on my dresser! (It is hard to dust with lots of small necklaces on it...)
 First we bought three pieces of wood, and cut one in half, to create an equal rectangle. We also bought a long piece of trim that when cut in half, fit almost perfectly along the top and bottom on the rectangle. Also, need wood glue, screw-in hooks, and brackets to make it into a square.

 Also needed: a trusty helper.
 We lined the brackets along the wood, drew circles, and then drilled small holes. The one time we did not draw the holes, we messed it up. It is an easy step that should not be forgotten. Then, we screwed on the brackets.
 We have a rectangle! This is before we put on the trim. Next, we just took wood glue and put it onto the trim, placing that one to frame. Word of advice: make sure to use grips when using wood glue. We did not, which is ok, but the wood trim did not dry completely flat along the top corner. It does not bother me, but it might bother you!
 I then went to Hobby Lobby and bought some acryillic paint. That was probably the hardest part! There are so many choices. Make sure to take the lid off to check out the color because the bottle can be deceiving. I am happy with the color I settled on.  Let dry and voila! We drilled holes for the hooks, screwed them in, and placed hangers on the back after painting it.  I am smitten with it! :)
In this photo you can see the trim better. I think it adds a lot.
 On a different note-my nephew replied to a letter I sent him last week. It is so cute. He is getting so great at writing! I am so proud :o) He only responded to the questions I asked him. Next time I will have to make sure to keep note of what I send him so I can decipher his answers. Also, isn't he adorable?
Lastly, this was our last big thing we bought (with some help) to give us more room in the kitchen. You might remember how limited our space is when it comes to counter and cabinets. This bakers rack is really great! We have more room now. I am still looking for a bin for the bottom tier to keep our recycle. And another basket to hold kitchen towels and aprons. In due time. This week is going to be crazy busy! I am glad the apartment looks better and better each weekend though. It is really starting to feel like home. Hope you enjoyed all the photos and give me a call sometime!



1 comment:

  1. wow, Amanda! that necklace holder looks awesome. good job crafty lady ;) and I'm so happy to be on the wall. MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete