Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lately and October book reviews

Hi all!

It feels like it has been awhile since I have written on here. Matt and I have been busy. Two weekends ago my parents came to stay with us for Homecoming. It was Mizzou's 100th celebration. We went to a tailgate and then to the game. The weather was amazing! It was so nice to have my parents here and so hard to see them go. I am already looking forward to seeing all of our family for Thanksgiving. (Photos on another camera...will be posted some other time) Mom brought us some awesome canisters for the kitchen. I had been looking for quite some time and they found the perfect ones!


The leaves have started to change. I will post some photos that I have taken. I have just been playing with my camera a bit, trying to learn how to do new things. I borrowed a book from another teacher at school about how to use a camera manually. I still feel like I have so much to learn! I am not ready for the cold weather. It is just about time for me to get out some sweaters and scarves. School has been going okay. I think everyone is ready for a little break. This weekend I am going to visit my good friend Jenn in Chicago. I have never been there before, so I am really excited! It will be Halloween-any good suggestions for costumes? I can't think of anything this year and I am really running short on time!






So now to the book reviews! I am finally all caught up for my books for the year. I just finished number 20! I read The Book Thief by Mark Zusak, The Battle of Jericho and November Blues by Sharon Draper. It took me a really long time to read The Book Thief and it was a pretty good book. It is narrated by Death about a young German girl during World War II. I found at times that the author was just trying really hard to make it "good." On to the other books...I found them much more interesting.

Sharon Draper writes Young Adult Lit books and they are really great! Several of my students recommended the books to me and once I started reading I couldn't put them down! Jericho is a boy who wants to part of the coolest group in school, the Warriors of Distinction. He and his cousin "pledge" and several hazing activities occur. I don't want to give away the ending! Josh, Jericho's cousin, ends up getting hurt. The next novel is about Josh's girlfriend, November, and her dealing with pregnancy. That one is narrated by both November and Jericho. These books are really easy to read and just plain enjoyable. Even though the subject matter is difficult, they are realistic. I know they have spoken to a lot of my students and I am sure to many others. Check them out, fellow teachers!

Lastly, Matt, the dogs and I went up to Iowa to visit my Grandparents. We were able to relax and have a really nice time visiting with them and my Aunt and Uncles. She makes the best food-we had mashed potatoes both days!!! We also inherited a grill and some meat! On Monday night we cooked up a bunch of burgers and chicken since it had been so long! We sure have missed grilling. Here are some photos from our visit.




"Bloom where you are planted"  :o) Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment