Friday, August 3, 2012

Critical Analysis: Twilight & Fifty Shades of Grey

(For the purpose of this blog post, I am only going to talk about the first books in the series.)

A few years ago my husband picked up Twilight. I kind of giggled at him.  While reading, he became really affectionate and lovey-dovey, if you will. I giggled again, not really sure why.  Then he wanted me to read them, so I did, and I became lovey-dovey!

Recently, after having numerous people tell me I should read the Fifty Shades of Grey books, I decided to pick it up. I was going on a trip to Vegas and needed a good no-thinking book for the flights. And that is exactly what I got. This isn't the type of book I typically pick up, which is something you know if you know me at all or read my book reviews. I also have never really read any romance novels, so I am not sure if it is comparable.

I know that the Fifty series started as fan fiction for Twilight. I still wish that James would have been a bit more creative with her story line and character development. Both series keep you reading and are fast-paced, so they do have that going for them.

The similarities between the books are uncanny and quite frankly annoying. Stephanie Meyer's books is definitely better written from an English standpoint, but from a feminist one, I don't think I would want my daughter to read it. Let's start with some of the similarities. Ana and Bella are both clumsy, bite their lip, think that they are not beautiful, and have tons of guys falling over them but can't tell they are wanted, ie. naive. Christian is adopted, as are his brother and sister, like Edward and his family. Mia, Christian's sister, acts just like Alice, Edward's sister. Christian continually remarks about Ana's smell, which is what draws Edward to Bella.

Not only are the characters identical, but the situation is identical. Bella and Edward fall for each other, he tries to control her, she tries to still be her own person, then she leaves to get away from Washington (where James' book is also set, coincidentally) and goes to Florida (Georgia in the James book), and the boys follow the girls there, charming the pants off of the mother's. The list goes on and on.

One aspect to the Fifty book is the recurring theme of the dark and light, which is  a common aspect to literature. Ana constantly says she wants to bring Christian from the dark into the light. Edward literally lives in the dark, being a vampire. Christian also lives in the dark. Not only are his actions kept secret "in the dark" but he also does dark things that are seen by society as disturbing. He has never had a normal relationship with any girl, and neither has Edward. They don't let themselves like women.

Another interesting play James did was draw on classic British Literature.  Ana is an English major graduate who loves British Lit. She calls him Mr. Grey and he calls her Miss Steele. She is looking for that perfect gentlemen, similar to the protagonist in an Austin novel. Another similarity to those types of novels is that there is always something unsaid. The characters live by strict social boundaries that keep them from ever being fully honest with each other. Ana and Christian keep their true thoughts from each other, which frustrates the reader.

What attracts people to these books is the idea of the fairy tale and prince charming. Obviously, part of the attraction to the Fifty books is the sex scenes. Having a man control and take care of a woman seems desirable. A pampered lifestyle. Both Edward and Christian are very rich and want to provide completely for their women.  Edward, while completely overwhelming and controlling, somehow attracts girls to him. Same with Christian. Women want the fantasy.

What most upsets me about the books is that they are unrealistic and set up girls for unwarranted expectations. The women in the novels are weak. They let themselves be controlled and lose themselves in a man because of love. I believe that we need more than that, and to have a truly healthy relationship, we need to have other friends and outlets than just our spouses, for men and women.  Women have made it so far and are only getting stronger. What she should strive for is equality, not submission, even if that is what makes our husbands happy.

Agree? What did you think of the books?

No comments:

Post a Comment